Friday, January 2, 2009

Self Defense?

Sometimes I worry about Kristin walking to her car by herself at night. I mentioned this to a friend and he told me that he had heard something about people using crazy bright flashlights as a crime deterrent. I googled it and I don't know if I'm just living right or what but this is what I found. I didn't buy either of these but based on the cover I think I have a working understanding of the techniques.

Phil's technique relies almost entirely on confusing the potential attacker with your unexplained use of a flashlight in broad daylight. Though somewhat effective Phil found there were some situations where normally non-violent people punched him simply because he was shining a flashlight at them in the middle of the day.


"Light Him Up!" had more parenting advice then I was looking for. Steve uses the flashlight as a tool to squelch Steve Jr's rebellions. Since Steve started disciplining with the flashlight Steve Jr. is back wearing the family t-shirt and haircut, but he's still not happy about it.


I think I'll buy her some pepper spray.


4 comments:

Side of Jeffrey said...

Its amazing the books that get published. I bought my little brother a book on how to raise ducks in the city. It exists.

Jenna Theobald Broadbent said...

Where do you find these gems? A few weeks ago a man at the park was using a flashlight in the middle of the day to lure in prey. That's right, I called the police on his pedophile face. Cory was mortified. But I knew in my heart he was a pedophile.

Anonymous said...

This girl is my program has this rad taser.
Check it out.
http://www.taser.com/products/consumers/Pages/C2.aspx

celeste said...

Wow, "Light Him Up!" right after "The Ab Revolution?" These are some truly incredible speci-mans.